China’s accession to the status of number one automotive market in the world is one of the most striking illustrations of the structural changes happening in the automotive sector at the global level. Over-capacity in many parts of the world, major modifications in consumers’ expectations and behavior, energy and climate change pressures, the accelerating pace of urbanization throughout the world are among the many challenges that the industry is confronting. These are enduring challenges that will take years and even decades to address but which are accentuated by the impact of the global economic crisis acting as a game changer and a change accelerator
There exist today quite a number of gatherings for automotive executives at the regional level. However, there is no platform bringing together all the key players from the industry at the global level, along with policy-makers, regulators, representatives of key sectors relevant for the future of the industry, and leading technologists and experts.
Given the game-changer nature of the emergence of China’s automotive industry for the whole sector it is quite fitting that such a global platform be created in China, filling a vacuum and a growing need.
The Global Automotive Forum is the landmark annual platform
- To discuss the structural changes and the challenges facing the automotive sector worldwide.
- To provide participants with an update on relevant technological, economic, societal and trade developments impacting on the industry.
- To generate a productive and outcome-oriented exchange of views among manufacturers, policy-makers, regulators, experts and media leaders on a global basis.
- To assess the evolution of markets for the automotive sector in the different regions of the world.
- To update participants on new insights on issues impacting the industry and on technological developments relevant to the future of the industry.
- To discuss policy developments having an impact on the automotive sector, especially with respect to climate change and international or bilateral trade issues.
- To encourage focused, project-related networking among key players from the industry.
- Each year, the Global Automotive Forum brings together around 600 participants:
- Top executives from key automotive manufacturers (OEMs) from China and around the world.
- Government officials and regulators from the People’s Republic of China government as well as from foreign governments.
- Top executives from Chinese and foreign auto parts and operating systems manufacturers.
- Senior executives from financial institutions.
- Leading experts on the automotive sector and on issues related to the automotive sector.
- Media leaders from the specialized media and from the general media from China and abroad.
The Format and Features
The Global Automotive Forum is conceived as a genuine platform for discussion and experience-sharing in an outcome-oriented dialogue both among the key industry players and with relevant interlocutors from government, media, academia and other business sectors critical for the industry.
The formats of the different sessions were developed to ensure that discussions are well focused, related to specific issues and projects and oriented towards specific outcomes.
An Executive Summary provides participants with the highlights and the key outcomes of the discussions at the Global Automotive Forum. Keynote speeches for policy formulation and discussion:
- Brainstormings on some prospective issues for the industry, well prepared and moderated to engage speakers and participants in a process leading to genuine take-home value.
- Update/briefings on business, societal, technology and geopolitical developments with an impact on the industry, with a special attention to the “so what?”- the implications for business.
- Debates confronting analyses and perceptions on some developments impacting on the industry and what they bode for the future.
- Panel discussions bringing together different approaches and perspectives on specific issues to provide participants an integrated perspective on the topic.
- Workshops to discuss specific projects.
-Published on page#13 November-2014 edition of MOBILE WORLD Magazine